Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) scheme.

E.ON Next are a mandated SEG licensee.
Want to get paid for the extra renewable electricity you generate?
Thanks to the SEG scheme you can sell your excess power back to the grid through us.
Here's how…

House and sun

Get paid for your excess electricity.

You already benefit from generating your own electricity. Now, you can help others by selling the renewable electricity you don't need back to the grid - and generate some extra income for you or your business at the same time.

E.ON Next's Smart Export Guarantee rates.

We have 2 SEG tariffs we'll pay you, depending on what kind of customer you are:

Next Export

- You'll receive 3p per kWh of electricity you export.

- 12-month fixed-term export tariff.

- No exit fees

Available to :

- Anyone who gets their power from someone other than E.ON Next .

- Has generators with a capacity of up to 5MW.


- Who had their solar panels installed by E.ON Solar on a grant.

- Has generators with a capacity of up to 5MW.

Next Export Exclusive

- We'll reward you with 16.5p per kWh of electricity you export.

- 12-month fixed-term export tariff.

Available to:

- Customers whose electricity is supplied by E.ON Next


- Customers who bought their solar installation from E.ON Solar but do not have their electricity supplied by E.ON Next .

And here's what you could make when you use 62% of the energy you generated and sell 38% back to the grid (based on the government's Standard Assessment Procedure and the current capped cost of electricity at 30p per unit).

House sizeNo. of solar panelsPotential annual electricity generated by solar panelsElectricity consumedElectricity exportedPotential annual profit with Next ExportPotential annual profit with Next Export Exclusive

1-2 bedrooms







3 bedrooms







4+ bedrooms







*Assumptions: The average daily solar radiation in the UK is around 3.5 kWh/m2/day. The efficiency of solar panels is typically around 15-20%.

*Exactly how much you earn depends on things like solar battery setup, your energy consumption, the location of your home, the slope of your roof, what direction your solar panels are facing and how long they are in the shade.

What is the SEG scheme?

The government set up the Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) scheme to help everyone use more renewable energy. That means energy suppliers like E.ON Next pay domestic and business customers for any excess energy generated with renewable sources (such as solar panels).

The SEG scheme replaced the Feed-in Tariff (FiT) scheme that ended in April 2019.

What do I need to do to join SEG?

Interested in selling your surplus electricity back to the grid? Then you'll need one of these renewable energy set-ups:

Solar photovoltaic systems.

Solar panels are solar cells that generate electricity using the photovoltaic (PV) effect.

Hydro power.

This uses the natural flow of water, such as a river, to drive a turbine and generate electricity.

Onshore wind.

One of the more familiar ways of generating electricity - from large "farms" to small domestic turbines.

Micro-Combined Heat and Power.

This system generates electricity while heating your water (rather than letting the energy escape). If yours generates up to 50kw, you’re eligible.

Anaerobic digestion.

This creates biogas that can generate electricity through a CHP system.

You must also:

  • Own the solar panels, wind turbine or whatever generates your electricity (or have permission from the owner).

  • Have a unit with a capacity of up to 5MW.

  • Have an installation that's been Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) certified or has Flexi-Orb certification.

  • Have a meter that records the energy you export to the grid every half hour.

  • Be able to opt out of FiT payments or be prepared to lose your FiT export payment (if you're receiving them).

  • Not be receiving SEG payments from anyone else .

  • T&Cs apply.

How do I apply for the E.ON Next SEG tariff?

Any home or business can sell the extra power they generate back to the grid. Just complete your Smart Export Guarantee application form online and send it to us (it can take up to 4 weeks to process your application).

And don't forget to include:

1. A valid MCS or Flexi-Orb Certificate​.

MCS Certificate example
Flexi-Orb certificate example

2. Proof of address.

If E.ON Next is NOT your energy supplier or your installation was not completed by E.ON Solar, we need a proof of address such as:

  • Council Tax statement.

  • Bank statement.

  • Solicitor's letter.

  • Tenancy agreement.

  • Mortgage statement.

You can find more accepted proofs of address on

3. A photograph of your smart meter or export meter.

We need to see :

  • The serial number.

  • Make.

  • Model.

  • Export reading.

Please remember this is not your generation meter.

Here's how you get your export reading from your smart meter.

SEG smart meter
SEG smart meter.

4. Schematic diagram.

If you store a battery on-site, we'll need a schematic. Something like this:

Solar panel schematic.

5. DNO approval/acceptance letter/email.

This confirms that your G98 or G99 application was received or processed by your DNO (Distribution Network Operator). They're the company that brings electricity from the national network to your home or business. (It's not the DNO notification form we're after.)

G8/G99 example.

If you do not have the DNO letter, don't worry. Just contact your DNO or your installer. Here are the links to each operator:

6. G98 or G99 application form (Scottish Power only).

Signed up to Scottish Power? They don't provide approval letters, so we are happy to accept the application form you sent to them.

Now you're ready to fill out the E.ON Next SEG tariff application form:

Fill out our application form

Applying as a business?

If your company is VAT registered, VAT will be added to your export payment. You'll need to complete the E.ON Next application form AND this self-billing form.

Fill out our self-billing form for VAT customers

What happens next?

  • We'll check we've received everything we need from you.

  • We apply for an Export MAN. This helps us work out how much energy you're exporting.

  • When your account has been set up, you'll receive an email confirming your start date and reading, along with your export tariff info and what's next.

  • After that, you'll receive your payments annually.

Flash with magnifying glass.

Our frequently asked questions.

Need to talk to us?

Give us a call or drop us an email using the details below.

Home related
Jumping leaf.

Not yet got solar panels?.

Get up to £200 off solar panels & batteries as an E.ON Next customer.

More about solar