What to do in an emergency
If you smell gas or suspect a leak...
Open windows and doors.
Turn off your gas at the meter (unless it’s in the cellar or basement).
Turn all gas appliances off.
Do not use light switches, doorbells or any electrical switches.
Do not return to your home until you’ve been given the all-clear.
... then go outside and call:
Carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that has no smell or taste. It’s extra dangerous because breathing it in could kill you.
We don’t want that to happen, so we’ll help you watch for its signs.
Incorrectly installed, badly maintained or poorly ventilated household appliances that use gas, oil, coal or wood are the most common sources of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Since 2015, if you live in a rental property in England, it's a legal requirement for your landlord to install a smoke alarm on every floor of the premises and a carbon monoxide detector in rooms containing solid fuel appliances.
Don’t take any chances, if you’re worried about carbon monoxide leaking from a gas appliance, call:
For power cuts:
If you’re experiencing another urgent energy-related question or concern, contact us and we’ll sort it out.
We're always still here for you after 5pm or over the weekend if you have an emergency with your prepayment or credit meter. You can either call 0300 303 2756, or you can email us or get in touch on our social media channels.